Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

To be or not to be?

I have run into a lovely little paradigm that has changed almost nothing, and yet everything. Being raised in a lovely Christian home, I always sought to 'do' what Christ asked of me. I wanted to reach a goal, and so I performed the actions necessary. Right doctrine translated into right practice in order to reach the right goal. I wanted to do the right thing, in order to please God. I never did think I could 'earn' my salvation, but I did want to return love shown to me with the actions I performed.



So what's the problem here? It wasn't me. All those actions I performed came from a mental decision to do so. They came as obedience to commands on paper. Then as a friend recently put it "God burnt my house down and started over." I stopped trying to do.



By God's grace I didn't fall off the face of the earth. There were too many people that loved me that I didn't want to dissapoint. I did, however, seem to slack in my actions, what I cared about, what I did. I saw a goal I couldn't accomplish and gave up on it. I just decided to be me. Somewhere along the line of my existance I found me. I also found God waiting there already holding me. What? Holding the uncouth, foul mouthed, uncaring, generally disgusting me? Yep, he had been all along, even while I was off staging another play trying to please Him.



To put it in math terms. Point x = point y (where x=God and y=me). I can't move point y but as x moves in my life, so do I. So now here I am at point y, I want point y to be somewhere farther up the spectrum, but the most important thing is that the equasion works. The most important thing is that point y is where point x is in my life. No matter how I try to thrown in another number, point x will always be found at point y.



If you actually followed that there may be some theological implications that worry you. Don't dig too deep into it. So how does this look in the real world?



The kingdom. The kingdom is lived out, not done. Everything that I do in the kingdom flows out of who the perfect King Jesus Christ is in me. Jason is screwed up, a broken vessel. A broken vessel filled with treasure. The King transforms us, and we live out that transformation. As we become more like Jesus Christ, others see more of Jesus Christ in us.



This is the beautiful message that we have to offer the world. They've seen enough 'perfect people.' What they really need to see is A miserable broken people who are somehow equipped to live above what they possibly could on their own.



I for one am a miserable broken dying person, made alive and beautiful by Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory.



Do all in love to Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Visitors