Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

God's Harvard. A lesson on the senslessness of Christians and government.

I just finished reading God's Harvard an interesting look into a small fundamentalist/politically minded college near D.C. called Patrick Henry College. The book is written by somewhat nominal Jewish woman named Hanna Rosin. Good writing, 286 pages, worth the read.
Rosin never intended to write an argument for Anabaptist views on Christians and governments; but she did. This book will cause sore neck due to headshaking (caused by mis-belief) at the mess created when these Christians and the world of polotics collide.
Imagine a school made up entirely of homeschoolers. Politically obsessed homeschoolers. "Bush is a perfect Christian" "We need to take America back for God" "Rush Limbaugh is my hero" homeschoolers. These kids were crying and having an emergency prayer session after Jerry Kilgore lost the guvenatorial race in Virginia. During their campaign work with "Generation Joshua" (a group of christian youth who are helping "take back the land"), battle cries are called out "Go for smiles, go for Christ." Thank you Constantine.
I'm frankly not sure that the visibile church will ever return to that pre-Constantinian era. The next two hundred years (provided things don't end before then) I believe will be increasingly difficult for those who know the shepherd. Not because of persecution, but because many who claim to (and I do believe some who do) will shoot the church in the foot by attempting to make a bunch of pagans into perfect Christian people.
Imagine that, a nation of Christians who don't know Christ. In C.S. Lewis book 'The Screwtape Letters' the demon Screwtape points out to his nephew Wormwood that their success is not in making people into miserable heathens, it works a whole lot better to make them moral happy people who get along quite well without God. If that is the case the moral-majority is unwittingly doing the devil's handiwork.
I hope I am not misheard. I don't support abortion. I don't support sin. I also don't expect people who don't know the shepherd to live a moral life. Most who do know the shepherd have difficulty enough already. Live the Kingdom, be Jesus Christ to those around you. Make disciples, not manequins.

No comments:

Visitors