Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

What Scares Children About Christianity

Growing up, I sat through a lot of business meetings with people who liked to sing songs like Victory in Jesus or They Will Know We are Christians By Our Love. I hated business meetings, a lot. A part of me found them entertaining, like watching a train wreck, or reality TV before reality TV existed. To this day I like the idea of being the fly on the wall in an argument, it's intriguing. I suppose if I was home around 1pm and had a tv I'd be addicted to soap operas.

Soap operas aside. Another part of me was scared. Kids don't think much about the future, but when they do there is this assumption that everything will be exactly the same as it is now, except that there will be a jet-pack or a pony, and a laser gun. As I sat in those business meetings I felt trapped, like I would never get out willingly, but I would probably get voted off the island at some point. After putting out my torch I would fly away in my jetpack.

If I were ever in a church that had business meetings like that again, I probably wouldn't go to them. If they made me I would probably listen to a Rock review podcast, put tape over my mouth, and gouge my eyes out. Obviously I kid. I would probably listen to James Earl Jones read the Bible, that way I would have the excuse of doing something spiritual.

Next time you decide to have an argument about whether or not the new chairs should be blue or red, or which version of the Bible should be used in preaching, or really anything that shows that you are fighting for something you consider more important than the person you are arguing with, remember there are children listening. They may be getting their jetpack fueled and ready to go.

No comments:

Visitors