Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

People Don't Listen To You If Your A Jerk: Revisited

Watched a video of a theological debate in class yesterday. It was enjoyable, the discussion was lively, and generally cordial, all except for the youngest in the group who wore glasses like Rob Bell. He was a jerk.

As I watched the video I became aware of my emotional response to him. I didn't like him. He kept interrupting other people because he had some important point that would seal the argument forever (he had a lot of those), and he talked about three times as much as everyone else. No surprise to me I disagreed with him the most. Cognitively and emotionally.

I could say that maybe I didn't like him because I didn't agree with him, but there was another member of the panel who was older, much more respectful, and much less arrogant (yet still confident), gentleman who took the same position. While I still found myself disagreeing with him, I tended to listen more, and every once in a while say, "Hm that was a good thought, I hadn't thought of that before."

Just because someone is a jerk doesn't mean their wrong, but it makes it harder to want to agree with them, or believe what they are saying is true. Frankly you are hoping that they are wrong and get embarrassed somehow. I don't tend to side with people and at the same time hope they get embarrassed.

My junior year of high school I went to this debate at Oregon State University. I don't remember much about it, except for one particular question during the question and answer time. During the debate it became obvious that the man Marcus Borg (a current member of the Jesus Seminar) viewed Jesus claims at deity as symbolic, while the other man was rather evangelical in his views. A student asked the question, "Is Jesus the Lamb of God sent to take away the sin of the world." Borg stuttered a bit then went on to explain the allegory, that Jesus wasn't actually a Lamb, and He didn't actually take away sins.

After a moment, the other man took a drink of water, smiled a bit and said yes. I would have understood a little chuckle from the crowd and from Marcus Borg himself. The response was meant to be poignant and impacting, but still tasteful. At this remark a large group of the audience erupted into mass applause, denoting a victory for evangelicals around the world. It was like they expected Jesus to come in and say, "Alright guys, you did it, thanks for ushering in my return and finally settling the question for every unbeliever everywhere." He didn't.

The evangelical man looked a little perturbed and spoke something into the mic that made the applause stop and the crowd feel awkward. He, unlike the evangelicals in the crowd, understood the idea about not being a jerk about your belief.

I don't know that applause like that really accomplishes anything, those people weren't clapping for Jesus, they were clapping for a zinger that made Borg look stupid. I doubt that drew anyone in the room toward the Jesus they represented.


He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding has a cool spirit. Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

Proverbs 17:27-28

No comments:

Visitors