Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

All The Things Unseen.

I appreciate the group of believers I spend time with on Sunday morning, but it still seems we are missing something, or ignoring it.

As I looked around this morning I saw several examples of messy hope. I saw a lot of people who simultaneously represented downfall and grace. I saw marital failure, bouts of promiscuity, substance abuse, depression, pain, and chaos. At the same time I saw people raising their hands to the only hope they have, admitting they cannot be their own hope.

What I saw was messy, but beautiful.

Meanwhile, what I hear seems ignorant of what I see. The man with the broken marriage likes to talk football, the woman with depression comments on a new restaurant. Were I to go on what they said it would seem God is being praised for a great meal or a sports victory, but I think I know better.

Someday what is said will be about what is, and it will be beautiful. For now it will just take some imagination to see what I know is there.

No comments:

Visitors