Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Dying to be Known.

I spent the last few minutes with a man who is dying to be known. Unfortunately very few seem to care enough to listen long enough. The guy has some problems with telling the truth. He tells people what they want to hear, whether it's about himself, or life in general. We did a little exercise in truth. I asked him to either tell me the truth or tell me that he doesn't want to answer the question. Thinking to my own struggles I asked "Do you feel like you have to prove yourself?"

"Yes"

"Do you feel like no matter how much you try to prove yourself, you can't do good enough? And in the end you are dying for them to know who you really are?"

In a much quieter tone "Yes"

Our failure to be transparent is killing ourselves and those around us. If you are frustrated with someone, and tired of them, take time to really listen. Keep digging. Fight to get to their heart, deep on the inside they are begging for it. Sometimes very deep on the inside.

No comments:

Visitors