Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

The Struggles of a Liturgical Evangelical Anabaptist

Spontenaity, originality, off the cuff, progressive, driving, contemporary. I have found myself struggling to be in churches that are either 'contemporary' or trying to be 'contemporary'. I feel that the greater part of the evangelical service is like a tv commercial, get in as many different spiritual feelings flashed in front of us as we can in thirty seconds, then move on to something new. The entertainment factor is so frustrating to me. It seems that the current evangelical church is somewhat ignorant of the past 2000 years of worship. As those before us have nothing valuable or applicable to this decade.

In the last few years I have discovered what is simple, what is thoughtful, what is deep, is what rejuvenates me. Saying the Creeds reduces the complexity of religion into simple powerful truths. Reciting the Lord's prayer brings a wholistic picture as to God's desire for my life. The structure of a call to worship followed by confession, an assurance that we are forgiven, response to that in worship (whether hymn, reading, or contemporary worship song, or maybe just spoken words) and exaltation of the glorious Father who loves us and is the center of our existance.

I realize much of this desire is shaped by my personality. I don't think the liturgical structure is the absolute only way to worship; but I do feel like much of contemporary worship is fast paced, entertaining, largely emotionally driven, and hectic.

I think I'm going to try and find an evening service with something liturgical.

No comments:

Visitors