Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

A Lesson from the Early Church

I am doing some research on the early church's interaction with Rome in the 1st through 3rd centuries. Here is an interesting quote I just came across.

"In the cheerless waste of pagan corruption, the small and despised band of Christians was an oasis fresh with life and hope. It was the salt of the earth, and the light of the world. Poor in this world's goods, it bore the imperishable treasures of the kingdom of heaven. Mekk and lowly in heart, it was destined according to the promise of the Lord, without a stroke of the sword, to inherit the earth. In submission it conquered; by suffering and death it won the crown of life."
-Phillip Schaff History of the Christian Church
Interesting that one of the most explosive eras of church growth was epitomized by suffering and service. Reading history on the early church I have seen nothing until Constantine in the way of Christian political maneuvering. It is true that early followers of Jesus didn't have much in the way of options politically; but we also don't hear of any violent or even political action on the part of believers to 'get their rights' or even somehow overthrow or preserve unjust, ungoldy systems. Their ethics, their hope, the kingdom they belonged to, transcended the sea of paganism around them. They did not try to change the culture; they followed Jesus and as a result became a bonfire that continually attracted the attention of even the highest officials.

No comments:

Visitors