Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Out of sync... once again.

The fulfillment of our existence is communion with our Creator. All of life flows out of this Father-child relationship. How easily children forget.

Relationship with the Father is difficult. It is hard to chase after a transcendent God. Heck, it's hard enough building relationship with human beings that we can see. How much more difficult is talking to an invisible beyond us yet with us God who often seems eerily silent? Sometimes I feel like Pharisaical rules would be much easier. I guess that's why it's so easy to fall into legalism.

Relationship takes work. I continue to be encouraged to be continued by the heart of Brother Lawrence. He had no drastic theology, no theatrics, just relationship. He had methods in the relationship of course; but they were a means to an end, not the end themselves. I am also encouraged that his continual communion with God took time to develop (once again like human relationships). Getting to know God is just that, getting to know God. It takes time, it grows. Sometimes it takes a lot of time.

Getting to know God is more normal than we want it to be -but not less extraordinary. In its fullest form, the presence of God is not us convulsing on the ground in the face of a beaming light. In the garden, Adam and Eve walked with God in the cool of the evening and talked with Him. We tend to always expect brokenness, always expect overwhelming emotion, always expect a 'blast of the spirit.' These things are a dynamic of our relationship, just as certain times with very close friends are emotional; yet I don't feel that something is wrong in those close friendships if things are just normal at times. Is it blasphemous to say that sometimes relationship with God is just normal life? I really don't have an answer to that one.

It seems much easier to lose contact with God than get in touch with Him. It seems that most days that I actually connect with my Dad I get all excited about his heart and run down some trail of thought or action and pretty soon my attention shifts from His heart to my actions; and I set off on a journey He wants to take me on, without Him. One day I'll learn.

I want to see every moment, every breath through his heart. Any act of compassion, any train of thought, any theological perspective that lacks the life giving blood of Jesus being pumped from the heart of God is a waste of time.

When will the daily and the divine ever collide in my life?

No comments:

Visitors