Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Resolving to Fail

I'm doing something this year that I have thought about doing for a while now. I'm not going to tell you exactly what it is. I've found that if I express my larger goals too quickly I get this sense of satisfaction as if I've already done the thing. So for now I'll be keeping my mouth shut so I don't let out the motivation.

I can tell you that what I'm trying to do is one of the more extensive, long term, projects I've undertaken. It feels like the first time I drove across the country alone. At first it was a fairly exciting venture, around Boise things got boring enough that I had time to actually consider what I was doing. It took me until somewhere in Wyoming before I finally settled down and thought I might make it. Right now I'm somewhere in Boise and a lot of details are settling in. I'm terrified. At times like this it is a lot easier to think about all the things I'm doing wrong, all the things that I don't know. It's a bit overwhelming, so I'm shifting my goals.

My goal is to fail at my project.

I'm not giving up, all those details are still sitting there, I've just given myself permission to fail. The whole reason I set out on this journey in the first place is because I want to get better at something, and the best way to do that is repetition. So really the only unacceptable failure is giving up.

Ok, let's get to it.

No comments:

Visitors