Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Seeing Jesus in Columbia.

It's been a week now that I've resided in Bogota, Colombia. I'm not sure what I expected to find; but I'm sure what I found wasn't what I would have expected. There are two aspects of this trip that stick out in my mind (well besides traveling as a loud obnoxious American in a big tourist group). Maybe it would be better to say there are two people who stick out in my mind. 

The first man is Steve Bartel. Steve has been ministering to street kids in Colombia for about 25 years now. They are currently building a second 4,000 square foot home to house another family of street kids. He also has a vision for about 33 more homes on their 40 acres of mountainous land. He has quite an amazing vision. It is not this vision however that grabbed my heart so much, it was his love. 

The love in this man was spectacular, his humility was genuine. When he talked about any of their projects or visions it was entirely through the lens of compassion for hurting people who needed Jesus. I apologize I can't articulate any better what I experienced in meeting this man other than this. There are certain people I have run into whose heart is that of Jesus and it seeps out of their pores. It was evident to me that this man was a friend, a close friend, of Jesus.

The second individual was Lillian Griffin. Amazing singer, faithful servant of God, and a Buckeye fan to boot. Her and her boyfriend Leo Morales (probably the most accomplished guitarist that I've had a chance to talk to) ministered to our group with word and song. It wasn't, however, till after the rest had left that I was blessed richly. I stayed up an hour and a half or so after the rest left, to talk with Leo and Lillian. Once again I saw Jesus and his heart in both of them. They encouraged me more than I have been in a long time. Every word they spoke gave me more courage as they talked of ministering to the poor both in Colombia and in the States. 

So what to I take away from this trip. The visions of our heart take courage, lots of courage; but we have to start somewhere, we have to do something. Those around us need to see a glimpse of the kingdom (christians and non) in action, I myself am starving for it. I'm still spending to much time looking for it. Sometimes we don't have the option of following the obvious leader who can show us the way. No, I take that back, I do have an obvious leader who walked this earth for 33 years. I guess it's just hard to follow an example I haven't seen modeled significantly by myself or those around me. May our Jesus give us courage to chase what we have not attained. And may He give us the continual reminder that we have not yet attained it.

Dios Te Bendiga

Hace todo en Amor a Jesus.

No comments:

Visitors