Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Jason's Letter to the Church in the US

Please understand my title as tongue in cheek. I am not the voice of God. Do, however, listen carefully because I think I am asking questions that try to get to the heart of God.

Political season is gearing up, or rather already has been. The Republican primary has turned into a circus. We will soon be finishing up the spec and moving into the main event, kicked off by renewed 'birther' controversy that will probably hit the fan within a day or so. And I cringe.

Not because I think the ongoing controversy is possibly idiotic (I do), but because of what I fear the church will do with it, and this new election.

I fear for the church, not so much that it will entirely fall apart, but that we will sink into another political cat fight. You know that whole thing where everyone else accuses everyone else of not being a faithful follower of Jesus because they didn't vote a certain way. I have a specific church in mind that had members leave because of their disgust with the acceptance of a political diversity. Though it comes from both sides, the reality is that the louder voice of contention comes from the religious right.

It seems I have tipped my hand. I am obviously an Obama advocate. No, not really. I don't find him to be the idiot that most Christians I talk to claim, but my ideals actually line up the most (which in this case is about 25%) with Ron Paul. Mostly I just like that I know exactly what Paul has thought about things for the last twenty years. However, you should take this 'endorsement' as nothing more than an acknowledgement that if we sat and expressed personal opinions about things, we would agree slightly more often than I would be the case with other candidates.

But really, I'm not exactly here to talk about polotics.

I'm here to talk about why I intentionally did not vote in 2008 and may not in 2012 It's not because I'm being lazy about it. In fact I'd like to think I've been following polotics quite well.

And why didn't I vote?

I think it is important to be involved in the political process, to give one's opinion, and to appreciate democracy. I encourage people to be thoroughly informed, something more than just spouting off whatever Rachel Maddow, or Glenn Beck said this week (Which Beck actually recommends himself). However, my priority is a kingdom that is not of this earth. The Bible says that we are aliens, ambassadors, passers-through on this planet. I think those terms (among other items) should place a weight on us about our role on this earth that reminds us that political ideals take third or fourth chair in relation to God's kingdom. I repeat, be involved, and vote, but realize that the voice you lift up as a Christian in politics can affect assumptions people have about Jesus in ways that may not necessarily be true of Him.

I've heard it said that if you don't vote you can't bitch. Well in the case of the kingdom of God, I decided to not vote so I could bitch. Essentially I didn't want the concerns I raise to be confused with bitterness that my team didn't win. Whether that was the right decision or not, God knows. It is what it is.

So these are my requests -no, my pleas for the church in the United States.

1) As Jesus prayed for us in his final hours, may we seek unity. Jesus compiled a group of political opposites, revolutionaries, Roman IRS agents, secessionists, and blue collar workers, and made the kingdom of God their priority. These radically different men added thousands of Barbarians, Scythians, Slaves, and Millionaires to this body of misfits. I believe that priority is still present today.

2) While I don't advocate the issue of 'political correctness,' I do advocate the unbending love of God that is perceptive and compassionate, seeking to convince others of Christ, removing any obstacles to that person seeing the savior more clearly. Have political discussions, be honest, but allow the Spirit of God to let you know when your disdain for 'political correctness' might keep someone from encountering God.

3) Recognize that it is God who establishes authorities, and not just the ones you like. We are told to honor the king, and to pray for him. This language comes out of a Roman concession to the Jews. Instead of offering sacrifices to the emperor, they offered sacrifices on his behalf to God. You may not always like the person in power, but God has called you to live in the tension of giving honor to the one you disagree with. It's helpful to remember our problem in that tension tends to be failure in the honoring category. We don't seem to have problems letting people know what we don't like.

I'm sure there is a lot more to say, but these (in my opinion) are the most important.

I'll leave Gungor to add a final point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WybvhRu9KU






1 comment:

Jason said...

amen. I resonate with your BB article, too. May your vulnerability be rewarded with real friendship. "...your brother in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus..." (Rev. 1:9)

Visitors