Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Why Not Sinning Is Not the Point

I've been sick. Sitting on a couch in Oregon when I could be hiking, going to the beach, or just walking around for that matter. Instead I've sat around watching countless hours of the History Channel.

My life hasn't been all that sinful lately in the ways it usually is. I've been too tired and incapacitated.

Incapacitated is a good word.

I was talking to a friend who is going through a lot right now. His sin is weighing on him. Sometimes it gets overwhelming. Sometimes we wonder whether he can ever beat it or not. Sometimes I think that beating it isn't the point.

My friend and I have been in the same place lately. Distant from God. Whether it was by running away or just getting distracted, it has the same result.

I think there are a lot of people who have decided to follow Jesus that are pretty focused on not doing the sinful stuff. I appreciate the passion, but I think a lot of people think of Christians as people who are trying not to do certain things as opposed to being people who are in love with Jesus. There's a fundamental difference.

There are a lot of polite people who are pretty moral. God has worked his character into everyone, so it doesn't surprise me much. But Jesus asks people to follow him, have relationship with him. If God wanted polite, moral people, he would have sent more rules, not his Son.

No comments:

Visitors