Instructions Before Reading

I stand by the right to publish incomplete snippets. The point of this blog is to share life. If there is a unity in my life, it will become apparent what that unity is. No post is a complete thought, theology, worldview, or poem within itself, it must be taken within the context of the entirety of this blog, considerations of who I am in public as well as who I am in extreme situations like when I am forced to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to help my wife jump start her car in 20 degree weather.

I recognize my right as a flawed human being to do the following: 1) be wrong, 2) change my mind, 3) be inconsistent, 4) have improper grammar and spelling conventions. You are just as flawed, wrong, capricious, and prone to theological alteration as I am... so get over it.

Finding Beauty

I am eating lunch at the brew, noticing styles in clothing. There are at least five different fashion statements in this room: white trash wife beater tucked into shorts; conservative Mennonite with bonnet covering; fifty five year old wearing a flowery blouse and some added youthful flair of a ankle bracelet; ex-Amish trying to disguise himself as a normal Englishman; and a guy in a casual t-shirt and cargo shorts.

I myself am wearing a grey hat -'scene' is the style I'm told- a simple logo t-shirt, cargo shorts and sandals. I obviously selected my clothes for 'appeal' more than function -I am after all wearing a hat inside.

Last summer I wore the same pants (don't worry I washed them) for six weeks... no one noticed. Do people really care as much as we think they do? Is it really worth $150 a month for me to feel better about my image, so that people I don't even want to talk to will notice me more? For the record I don't spend $150 a month on clothing. I don't think I've spent $150 in the past year.

I'm not against 'dressing up' or wanting to have neat clothing, or even 'fashionable' clothing; but how much time do we really spend obsessing about our image externally as opposed to our internal image. I know very beautiful people who are royal... jerks...

Some of the most beautiful people I know aren't too fashionable. They put on things like compassion, patience, love, and usually common sense. They aren't too full of themselves that they have to avoid going out of the house without first taking a half hour to make themselves 'acceptable.'

Like I said, it's fine to care about what you wear, but care more about who you really are, not what other people see on the outside.

No comments:

Visitors